MK2 Golf/Jetta Gas & Diesel "De-Power" Steering Conversion Bypass
This simple product started it all. By connecting the power steering rack pressure and return ports together, the rack is changed to manual operation. Here are some benefits of doing the conversion:
- Performance: horsepower is freed up by eliminating the parasitic drag the power steering pump has on the engine.
- Transitioning: the TRW and ZF power steering rack and pinion has a “longer” gear set, compared to the VW manual rack. This means there are less turns of the steering wheel required to move the wheels lock-to-lock. This is great for any type of racing where quick transitioning is required, such as autocross.
- Fuel Economy: by eliminating the power steering pump you will increase highway fuel economy. The pump wastes energy during highway driving, continually circulating fluid when the rack doesn’t even require it to assist the driver.
- Simplify: reduce the number of components in your engine bay. It will have a simpler and cleaner look
- Save money: if there is a problem with the power steering system, repairs are often extremely costly, especially for the rack and pinion. This is a much less expensive alternative!
All lines are fabricated using stainless steel tubing. The recirculation lines are mandrel bent using professional tubing benders. Each line is test fit before leaving our facility.
The line pictured here is usually all that is required on most MK2 8v and 16v Golf/Jetta cars, most of which will have the TRW rack. Some diesels have the German ZF rack, which will have a waffle pattern cast on the rack body. Contact us if you need help with your application.
We've also partnered with Toywagen to offer their A/C delete alternator pulley. It is available as an add-on to our steering recirculation line. The Toywagen alternator pulley's are CNC machined steel units, and include the corresponding v-belts.
Note: The ABF serpentine alternator conversion kit compliments our steering de-power kits perfectly. See the following: